19.6 C
Niagara Falls
Tuesday, May 21, 2024
NOTL Museum

Author's Latest

Exploring History: Fort Mississauga

On May 24, the Friends of Fort George and Parks Canada are providing a rare glimpse of the interior of Fort Mississauga. This fort, built on Mississauga Point, is located at the mouth

Exploring History: Dale’s Store

Recognize this building? It has a long history of serving up delicious treats. It is the Niagara Home Bakery building at 66 Queen St. The red brick structure, shown here in 1900, was

Exploring History: Niagara Camp, c. 1920

The Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum recently discovered a series of photographs of Niagara Camp taken by George A. Bash from Canton, Ohio. Although the exact location on the Commons is unknown, it is possible that

Exploring History: Fort Niagara, 1758

This piece is titled, “A mounted view of Niagara fort taken by Sir William Johnson on the 25th of July 1759.  Drawn on the spot, 1758.” It is a print of the original

Exploring History: Walnut Tree Cottage

Shoemaker George Flynn built this house circa 1860 at 22 Johnson St., on land given to him by his mother, who operated a recess (a liquor store by today’s standards) next door on

Exploring History: Palatine Hill

In the late 1600s, the Servos family was living in the German Palatinate area. The patriarch of the North American family arrived in the province of New York on the Charlotte River in

Exploring Photos: Margherita Howe, 1942

Before Margherita Howe became known as an environmental champion and the co-founder of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Conservancy, she enlisted on Jan. 2, 1942, to help serve her country during the Second World War. She

Red brick home

This watercolour was painted by landscape artist George R. Bruenech. It features a red brick home with a figure of a woman seated on the porch. The house was formerly located in the

Exploring History: Brock’s cenotaph

On Clarence Street, in the village of Queenston, stands this monument, placed by His Royal Highness, Edward Albert, Prince of Wales, on Sept. 18, 1860. The inscription on the north face reads “near

Exploring History: Valentine from 1845

Happy Valentine’s Day. Enjoy the beautiful handmade lace valentine above from 1845. And for your reading pleasure, a Valentine’s Day poem from the collection that was written circa 1832 from John Blake to

Exploring History: Chloe Cooley by Wayne Moore

In 2023, we commemorated the 230th anniversary of the 1793 Act to Limit Slavery and the Chloe Cooley incident with an exhibition titled, “Bound and Determined.” We also hosted the first annual event

Virtual lectures continue at NOTL Museum

Barbara Worthy Special to Niagara Now/The Lake Report February is that month when winter is too long and spring is too far away … so stay cozy with the Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum’s virtual lectures

Exploring History: King Street c. 1890

This photograph of the commercial block on King Street in 1890 shows (L to R) the water tower, Mike Greenes’ livery stable (currently Aura on The Lake, the restaurant), the Pacific Hotel, the

Exploring History: The Whale Inn

The Whale Inn, shown in this 1960 photograph (before its restoration), was built in 1835 to cater to sailors and merchants arriving at the Melville Street harbour. The Whale Inn is also known

Exploring History: The Railroad School

Here is the 1911-1912 class standing out front of the Railroad School at 1416 Line 3 Rd. The teacher behind the students is Elizabeth Dornan Ferguson. This was the new school built after

Exploring History: Queen Street, 1873

This 1870 view of the south side of Queen Street shows, from right: John Lees Alma’s upscale grocery and wine store, originally built in 1825 for dry goods merchant John Daly; an early

- A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS -
FOLLOW US

Subscribe to our mailing list