26.2 C
Niagara Falls
Thursday, June 13, 2024
Exploring History: Queen’s Royal Hotel
The Queens Royal Hotel became the destination of choice for those who wanted to escape the confines of the city and enjoy a peaceful time by the lake. NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE MUSEUM

This photograph shows the Queen’s Royal Hotel from a location near the end of King Street. Opening in 1869, the Royal Niagara, as it was first called, was built with money received from the county after the relocation of the courthouse to St. Catharines. The first-class hotel became the destination of choice for those who wanted to escape the confines of the city and enjoy a peaceful time by the lake. It was one of the finest hotels in North America. The hotel later changed its name to the Queen’s Royal Hotel. The hotel became the victim of a rollercoaster economy based on tourism. Advancements in roads and cars led to the demise of the Queen’s Royal in 1927 and the building was demolished in 1930. Queen’s Royal Park, five private residences and the NOTL Golf Club now occupy the area where the hotel grounds once were. In the foreground of the photograph are the bathhouse and the boathouses. The boathouses were owned by John Redhead. Visitors to the hotel and locals could rent boats and enjoy some leisure time in the Niagara River. As many as 45 boats could be out at one time. In the distance to the far right is Fort Mississauga.

Subscribe to our mailing list