The first lighthouse on the Great Lakes was erected on Mississauga Point, in 1804, more than 200 years ago. The Assembly of Upper Canada, in its 1802-03 session, authorized the construction of three lighthouses on Lake Ontario. These were to be placed on Mississauga Point, at Gibraltar Point in Toronto harbour and on Isle Forest near Kingston. Lamps and oil were ordered from England. By the fall of 1803 at least one lamp arrived and was ordered to Niagara. Captain Nicholls was the engineer in charge of constructing the lighthouse. The instructions he received included the cautionary line that “it is not intended to go to any expense with respect to ornament for this building. You will principally consult utility and at the same time make it substantial.” Nicholls estimated it would cost £178 and he only exceeded this by £18. The lighthouse stood until the early months of 1814 when it was demolished to make room for the construction of Fort Mississauga. Some of the materials used in the construction of the fort came from the lighthouse.