Here’s a great aerial shot of Virgil in 1947. The village of Virgil grew rapidly after the First and Second World Wars. During the 1950s and 1960s the community had five churches, four grocery stores, a department store, six service stations, woodworking shops and many more establishments to cater to the growing population.
This photo shows Niagara Stone Road along the bottom and Field Road is the diagonal line running from the top to the right. Virgil Public School on Four Mile Creek Road can be seen in the top left corner.
The current (2022) buildings on the west side of Stone Road, from the right, would be: Niagara Orchard and Vineyard Corp, Fix Auto Niagara-on-the-Lake, Simba’s Salon/Diamond Nails, the former Lincoln Interiors & Furniture Gallery, Virgil Variety and the Niagara Motors auto lot. The last building in the photo has been removed to enlarge the Niagara Motors lot.
The current buildings on the east side, from right, would be: the first house has been removed and the LCBO and Independent Grocer now stand in its place, Forum Antiques, and Niagara Motors. The last two buildings were removed to enlarge the auto lot.