This photograph shows the memorial clock tower in the 1920s with a perspective looking toward King Street. Note the rail crossing sign on the left for the railway that went along King Street. The memorial clock tower is one of the most prominent structures on Queen Street – and likely the most photographed. It was unveiled in June 1922, after much controversy about both its form and its location, as a memorial to 10 soldiers who gave their lives in the First World War. The architect, Charles Wilmot of Toronto, based his design on the St. Mark’s Campanile in Venice. The total cost of the 42-foot tower, including architectural fees, an imported clock and a fire alarm, was $8,165. A 1947 rededication ceremony commemorated soldiers killed in the Second World War and their names were added to the original 10. At the bottom is a recognition of the Korean War, 1950-1953.