spot_img
25 C
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Sunday, June 26, 2022
Exploring Photos with the NOTL Museum: The Pumphouse
2003047009

The 1891 Pumphouse on Ricardo Street, shown on the right of this c.1904 photograph, is a fine example of industrial architecture in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Built during the late 19th- and early 20th-century boom period, the pumphouse supplied the town with water from the Niagara River until 1983. The steam pumps also generated electricity for the growing town. The lighthouse is seen on the left side of the photograph. Both buildings still stand today. The pumphouse is a wonderful example of adaptive reuse of heritage buildings in our community as many of us enjoy the displays and programs of the Niagara Pumphouse Arts Centre.