Brock’s Monument has always been a popular spot to get the best view of the lower Niagara River and to learn about the Battle of Queenston Heights.
Here’s a photo from circa 1910 that shows the entrance to the path leading to the monument.
There are several soldiers with helmets, which is no surprise since War of 1812 battle sites were a major tourist draw during this time and many soldiers wanted to see the sites of formidable battles of the past.
Although admission was free, a 1910 newspaper reported the township government had leased the souvenir and refreshment stand on the roadway to Joseph Parnell for three years for $125 per year.
These funds were then used to maintain the road. In this photo, the sign to the right provides the details of the historic site.
The stand in the middle is selling postcards and offering to mail them on the sender’s behalf.
Different cards are displayed for purchase on boards nearby.
A few people can be seen sitting to the left writing notes to loved ones.