Butler’s Barracks is a historic military complex found off King and Mary streets on the Commons.
The original barracks were first built in 1778 on the banks of the Niagara River.
They were torn down in the 1790s when construction of Fort George began.
The second Butler’s Barracks, featured here in an 1899 photograph, were built in 1819.
It was first used by the British Indian Department and was later occupied by the British military.
The name is meant to pay homage to Col. John Butler and the Butler’s Rangers, who were active in the American Revolution as a faction of the British army. The Rangers never actually stayed in the barracks.