Municipal elections will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018 — here’s everything you need to know so far.
For the first time in history, Niagara residents will directly elect the regional chair.
Voters can make sure they’re registered to vote in the 2018 Municipal and School Board Election by visiting www.voterlookup.ca.
For candidates, the nomination period will begin May 1 and end on July 27 at 2 p.m. Nomination papers can be filed at Niagara Region Headquarters with the regional clerk or with your municipal clerk at your local town/city hall. Papers will not be accepted after the deadline.
Anyone who wishes to be a candidate for a municipal position must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a Canadian citizen.
- Must be a resident, non-resident owner or tenant of land or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant of the city/town they wish to run in.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must not be legally prohibited from voting.
- Must not be disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
- Nomination papers must be accompanied by a filing fee in the amount of $200 for the office of the regional chair or mayor or $100 for the office of regional councillor, municipal councillor or school board trustee
- Payments must be made in cash, certified cheque, debit or money order payable to the Region or appropriate municipality.
New this year, each nominee (excluding School Board Trustee candidates) must also be endorsed by 25 eligible voters and each candidate must provide proof of Canadian citizenship when filing their nomination papers.
Nomination forms will be available April 2018.
Advertiser registrations will be accepted between May 1 and October 19, the Friday before voting day.
Nomination papers for regional chair will be received by the regional clerk during the nomination period at the Office of the Clerk, Regional Headquarters, 1815 Sir Isaac Brock Way, Thorold, Ontario.
Nominations for mayors, regional councillors, municipal councillors and school board trustees will be received at local municipal offices, located at the following addresses
- Niagara Falls — 4310 Queen Street.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake — 1593 Four Mile Creek Rd., Virgil
- St. Catharines — 50 Church St.
- Fort Erie — 1 Municipal Centre Dr.
- Grimsby — 160 Livingston Ave.
- Lincoln — 4800 South Service Rd., Beamsville
- Port Colborne — 66 Charlotte St.
- Thorold — 3540 Schmon Pkwy.
- Welland — Civic Square, 60 East Main St.
- Pelham — 20 Pelham Town Square, Fonthill
- West Lincoln — 318 Canborough St., Smithville
- Wainfleet — 31940 Highway #3
A candidate information session for all interested parties is scheduled for Thursday, April 19 at the Gale Centre in Niagara Falls, 5152 Thorold Stone Rd. The presentation will start at 7 p.m.
Residents can contact their local city staff with questions about the upcoming municipal elections.
More information can be found via the following links: