This photograph, circa 1910, was taken just south of Queenston on the Canadian side of the Niagara River. The men are standing on one of the fishing weirs, which were created to direct fish into a catchment area. The fishermen would then scoop the fish out or raise the trap by a pulley system. Some of the fishermen in this area were James Wadsworth, David Derror (a member of the local Black community) and Joe Gabriel. For more on local fishing history, read “Destroyed: Commercial Fishing in Niagara” by Terry Boulton. Copies can be found in the museum’s gift shop.