23.6 C
Niagara Falls
Friday, June 14, 2024
St. Catharines residents fined for fire code violations

Two St. Catharines residents have been fined for Ontario fire code violations.

One resident, Raymond Francis Sinclair, was fined $5,000 for not having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed in his home at 22 Stanmary Dr., while the other, Joseph Raczkovi, was fined $2,500 for failing to install a working CO alarm in his owned rental property located at 43 Wellington St.

“Everyone deserves to feel safe at home and property owners are responsible for making sure they have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in place as required by law to protect themselves, their families, their tenants and other occupants,” said Jeff McCormick, acting fire chief for St. Catharines, in a city release.

“Carbon monoxide alarms, and smoke alarms, are proven to save lives.”

Ontario law requires home owners to have working smoke alarms on every storey of their home, outside of sleeping areas.

Working carbon monoxide alarms are also required by law to be installed outside of sleeping areas, particularly where fuel-burning appliances fuel-burning appliances and garages are.

For more details about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms visit, stcatharines.ca/fire.

Subscribe to our mailing list