The Weather Network
May. 24, 2022 | Tuesday
Local News
Thieves target Virgil restaurants
Mahmoud Sono, owner of Sono’s Cafe on Niagara Stone Road, after the break and enter this week. (Brittany Carter/Niagara Now)

Sono’s Café owner says he is “disheartened” after two restaurants near the corner of Niagara Stone Road and Four Mile Creek Road were targets of break-ins overnight on Thursday.

Mahmoud Sono, owner of Sono’s Cafe, said he had just returned from a week out of town when the café was hit by a break and enter. He had more cash on hand than he normally would have, he said, because he didn’t have a chance to drop the cash deposits.

“It makes me upset so much, because it only takes 24 hours, if they waited 24 hours I would have taken out the money,” he said. He was planning to deposit the money into the bank in the morning.

On Wednesday morning, Sono still hadn’t heard an update on the break and enter, and he is “still struggling” from the hit.

“I don’t leave any money anymore. We take more time every day to take all of the money out of the store. In the morning, with the cash floats, we have to take more time,” Sono said.

Niagara Regional Police are investigating a break-and-enter at Silks Country Kitchen that occurred just after 4 a.m. Friday, Const. Phil Gavin said in response to an email inquiry from The Lake Report.

Officers also are investigating a break-in at Sono’s Café that happened sometime between Thursday at 5 p.m. and Friday at 7:20 a.m.

Gavin said an “undisclosed amount of property was stolen” from the cafe.

Sono said about $3,700 was taken, plus the cost of damages to the security system which had been torn out and broken during the break-in.

Silks owner Joel Dempsey said his restaurant’s security system was on, including motion sensors, but the suspect managed to avoid them. He said other than money taken from the safe — he would not disclose the amount — a jug of orange juice was the only thing missing.

Security cameras captured images of the suspect, who is described as about six-feet-tall with a slim build, wearing a hooded sweatshirt tied tightly around the face, with black pants, white running shoes and black gloves.

In both cases, Gavin said, the suspect entered by damaging a glass door.

He said investigators will try to determine if there is any connection between the two incidents.

Dempsey said the theft caused Silks to open a bit late Friday morning.

“We normally open at 6:30 a.m., but we had to wait until about 8:30 a.m. this morning before we could allow anyone in.”