Support local news? Donate to Niagara Now.Support local news? Donate to Niagara Now.
The Weather Network
May. 27, 2018 | Sunday
Local News
Busy day for Niagara Falls firefighters
Fire destruction at a motel in Niagara Falls. (File)

Niagara Falls firefighters had a busy day Tuesday, with two fires within the city — one that spread to more than four acres of land.

Firefighters responded to a grass fire on Lyons Creek Rd. around 10:40 a.m. after a burn fire got out of control and a house fire on Kiwanis Crescent at around 6:30 p.m.

The incidents delayed the start of the fire department’s Wake Up campaign, which sees firefighters go door-to-door to check if household have working smoke alarms.

The four-acre fire saw response from Niagara Falls fire stations 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6.

“An incident likes this proves that a small fire can get out of control very quickly,” said Deputy Fire Chief Phil Ross. 

“With a small amount of wind a small confined fire can spread to a vast area in seconds.”

The second fire was the result of a tenant cooking french fries.

Firefighters said the oil ignited and started a kitchen fire.

The tenant received injuries while attempting to extinguish the fire and was transported to Greater Niagara General Hospital.

The estimated damage is undetermined at this time.

An investigation is being conducted by the Office of the Fire Marshal. 

Firefighters from stations 1, 2 and 3 battled the fire and were able to prevent it’s spread to other units. Kitchen fires are the leading cause of residential fires in the province.

Niagara Falls Fire offers the following tips to prevent fires in your home:

Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking. Never leave cooking unattended.

Keep things that can burn away from the stove. This includes dishcloths, paper towels

and pot holders.

Keep a proper fitting lid close by. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot to

smother the flames and turn off the stove. 

Never attempt to move a burning pot.

The Fire Department also encourages residents to dispose of their yard waste through the Niagara Regional Waste Collection Program. 

Details can be found at, niagararegion.ca/waste/collection/items/yard-waste.aspx.

The fire department requires owners to get permission before setting fires.