Support local news? Donate to Niagara Now.Support local news? Donate to Niagara Now.
The Weather Network
Sep. 18, 2019 | Wednesday
Local News
Natural gas odour false alarm at McFarland House Thursday
Eight people complained of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, but refused EMS treatment, said Nick Fuller, deputy fire chief. (Brittany Carter/Niagara Now)

The Niagara-on-the-Lake Fire Department was dispatched at 2:12 p.m. on Thursday afternoon in response to a call about natural gas odours at the McFarland House Tea Room.

At 3 p.m., there were three firetrucks and two other department vehicles on scene.

No risk was found, and the building was deemed safe to re-enter, said Nick Ruller, deputy fire chief.

“Originally, we had eight people complaining that they had carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms. However, they have been checked by EMS and refused treatment,” Ruller said. “We did air monitoring and we were unable to get any readings on our detection equipment.”

Ruller said there were so many vehicles on scene because another call was completed, and the trucks were close by. A team was investigating an alarm at Pleasant Manor Retirement Village, which he said was caused by an equipment malfunction.

f4033d7793009a4053c4497d8eccc3d53dc2dca8:f3b26ac4b4afe3f66e6edbd72929abcc23aa338f