Support local news? Donate to Niagara Now.Support local news? Donate to Niagara Now.
The Weather Network
Jun. 25, 2019 | Tuesday
Local News
Restoration of historic War of 1812 building to begin in late summer
An illustration of the Junior Commissariat Officers Quarters building at Butlers Barracks. (Submitted)

SUBMITTED BY TONY CHISOLM
PRESIDENT, FRIENDS OF FORT GEORGE

Friends of Fort George has learned Parks Canada is planning to start restoration and stabilization work on the Junior Commissariat Officers Quarters building at Butlers Barracks in late summer.

The officers quarters is the oldest of four remaining 19th-century military buildings which make up the Butlers Barracks National Historic Site. It was built in 1816 by the Royal Engineers and was used by the military throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. It is a wonderful example of Georgian-era architecture, with its simplistic, symmetrical and balanced appearance.

The Friends of Fort George, in partnership with Parks Canada, held a special fundraising event at the quarters in June of 2015. Several thousand dollars were raised to contribute to the restoration of the building.

The initial objectives are to evaluate and correct structural elements such as failing timbers. Parks Canada has announced the building is now under design review with Resource Conservation, the Federal Heritage Building Review office and other agencies. The estimated cost of the work is more than $1 million.

The Friends of Fort George is a non-profit organization that works in partnership with Parks Canada to preserve, promote and protect the heritage of Niagara’s national historic sites. Through special events and the operation of two gift shops, the Friends of Fort George generate awareness and funds to support student summer employment opportunities at Fort George and Brock’s Monument. Last year, we provided funds for an additional 16 students who worked on-site all summer.

f4033d7793009a4053c4497d8eccc3d53dc2dca8:f3b26ac4b4afe3f66e6edbd72929abcc23aa338f